About Belgium
Trade & Investment
Going to Belgium
Tourist Info
Schengen Visa
Resident Visa
Studying in Belgium
Belgians in Taiwan
Contact Us


A national from any country other than a Member State of the European Union who intends to reside in Belgium for a period longer than 90 days must first obtain a temporary resident visa from a consular post abroad. Note: only ROC nationals or foreigners with ARC in Taiwan can apply for a visa through our office.


  • The consular fee for a resident visa is 50 EURO, at the moment equal to 2200 NTD. This fee can vary according to the exchange rate. Consular taxes for legalizing documents are calculated seperately for each case.
  • The applicant has to apply in person.
  • Visa applications for this type of visa are received from Monday through Friday 9.00 to 11.30 on working days.
  • Visa application forms are available at this office.
  • Medical check should be performed by a doctor appointed by this office (list available).
Required documents:
  1. 3 visa application forms, signed by the applicant + 3 recent photos
  2. Passport (validity at least one year) and copy of passport.
  3. The household registration (partial if applicant will leave alone, complete if family accompanies the applicant) in Chinese, with a certified translation in French, Dutch or German (depending on the region in Belgium where the applicant will live).
  4. Medical certificate certifying the applicant has not contracted a contagious or transmittable disease, or a disease that can be dangerous for public safety.
  5. Police record for every person older than 18 (legalised by a Notary Public)
  6. Working permit


Working permit :

  • An alien who seeks to engage in a professional activity on a salaried basis needs to apply for a working permit first.
  • The work permit is applied for and must be obtained by the employer in Belgium at the appropriate regional government office before the prospective employee enters Belgium.
Formalities after arriving in Belgium:

The Alien has to register with the city hall within 8 days of arrival (of the place of residence, not the place of work) and submit his passport, working permit and household registration if applicable (translated and certified). After the usual verifications, the ciy hall will issue a resident permit (Certificat d'inscription au registre des étrangers –C.I.R.E.), valid from 5 months to 1 year, depending on the case, and extendable. This permit allows the alien to travel within the Schengen States and to apply for a visa with the foreign diplomatic representative offices in Belgium. The delay between registering at the city hall and issuing the residence permit can take 3 to 6 weeks depending on the city. Since the visa issued by BTA is only valid for a single entry, the applicant should refrain from leaving Belgium as long as the administrative procedures are not finished.



Copyright © 1999-2005 Belgian Office Taipei
This page was last updated on Wednesday June 01, 2005