About Belgium
Trade & Investment
Going to Belgium
Tourist Info
Schengen Visa
Resident Visa
Studying in Belgium
Belgians in Taiwan
Contact Us


A national from any country other than a Member State of the European Union who intends to reside in Belgium for a period longer than 90 days must first obtain a temporary resident visa from a consular post abroad. Note: only ROC nationals or foreigners with ARC in Taiwan can apply for a visa through our office.


  • The consular fee for a fiancee visa is 50 EURO, at the moment equal to 2200 NTD. This fee can vary according to the exchange rate. Consular taxes for legalizing documents are calculated seperately for each case.
  • The applicant has to apply in person.
  • Visa applications for this type of visa are received from Monday through Friday 9.00 to 11.30 on working days.
  • Visa application forms and medical certificate are available at this office or can be downloaded.
  • Medical check should be performed by a doctor appointed by this office (list available).
Required documents:
  1. 3 visa application forms, signed by the applicant + 3 recent photos
  2. Passport (validity at least one year) and copy of passport.
  3. The household registration (partial) in Chinese, with a certified translation in French, Dutch or German (depending on the region in Belgium where the applicant will live).
  4. Police record for every person older than 18 (legalised by a Notary Public)
  5. Medical certificate certifying that the applicant has not contracted a contagious or transmittable disease, or a disease that can be dangerous for public safety.
  6. Proof that you have notified the city hall of your intention to get married (this document proves the marriage will indeed take place)

      Ask the city hall in Belgium which documents they require for this notification of marriage. In general, it concerns following documents:

    1. Birth certificate (= household registration in Chinese), translated and legalized
    2. Certificate of celibacy (=household registration)
    3. Certificate of nationality (to be applied for at the Ministry of Interior of Taiwan or the Taipei Representative Office in Brussels)
    4. Proof of residency (=household registration)
    5. Certified copy of passport
    6. If the future spouse is not present personally for the notification, a consentment letter can be requested. The signature on this consentment letter must be legalized by a Notary Public.

  7. Proof of sufficient financial means or an affidavit of financial support signed by a Belgian national.
    Affidavit of financial support:
    • form available at the city hall
    • signed by the guarantor and signature must be legalized at the city hall
    • copy of identity card of the guarantor
    • proof of regular income of the guarantor

Formalities after marriage in Belgium:

To obtain a resident permit, the Alien has to register with the city hall of the place of residence and submit his passport and marriage certificate. After the usual verifications, the ciy hall will issue a resident permit (Certificat d'inscription au registre des etrangers -C.I.R.E.). This permit allows the alien to travel within the Schengen States and to apply for a visa with the foreign diplomatic representative offices in Belgium. The delay between registering at the city hall and issuing the resident permit can take 3 to 6 weeks depending on the city. Since the visa issued by BTA is only valid for a single entry, the applicant should refrain from leaving the Schengen States as long as the administrative procedures are not finished.



Copyright © 1999-2005 Belgian Office Taipei
This page was last updated on Wednesday June 01, 2005