About Belgium
Trade & Investment
Going to Belgium
Tourist Info
Schengen Visa
Resident Visa
Studying in Belgium
Belgians in Taiwan
Contact Us


A national from any country other than a Member State of the European Union who intends to reside in Belgium for a period longer than 90 days must first obtain a temporary resident visa from a consular post abroad. Note: only ROC nationals or foreigners with ARC in Taiwan can apply for a visa through our office.


  • The consular fee for a resident visa is 50 EURO, at the moment equal to 2200 NTD. This fee can vary according to the exchange rate. Consular taxes for legalizing documents are calculated seperately for each case.
  • The applicant has to apply in person.
  • Visa applications for this type of visa are received from Monday through Friday 9.00 to 11.30 on working days.
  • Visa application forms and medical certificate are available at this office or can be downloaded.
  • Medical check should be performed by a doctor appointed by this office (list available).
Required documents:
  1. 3 visa application forms, signed by the applicant + 3 recent photos
  2. Passport (validity at least one year) and copy of passport.
  3. The household registration (partial) in Chinese, with a certified translation in French, Dutch or German (depending on the region in Belgium where the applicant will live).
  4. Police record (legalised by a Notary Public)
  5. Medical certificate certifying that the applicant has not contracted a contagious or transmittable disease, or a disease that can be dangerous for public safety.
  6. Certificate of celibacy (not more than 3 months) of the two partners (for Taiwanese: the household registration)
  7. Copy of the Belgian identity card or identity card for foreigners or CIRE (certificat inscription au registre des étrangers) of the partner living in Belgium.
  8. Proof of durable nature of the relation (e.g. notary contract)
  9. Proof of sufficient income of the partner living in Belgium .
  10. An affidavit of financial support signed by the partner living in Belgium
      Affidavit of financial support:
    • special form ("engagement de prise en charge d'un partenaire concubin") available at the city hall
    • signed by the guarantor and signature must be legalized at the city hall
    • copy of identity card of the guarantor
    • proof of regular income of the guarantor

Formalities after arriving in Belgium:

The Alien has to register with the city hall of the place of residence within 8 days of arrival and submit his passport and household registration (translated and certified). After the usual verifications, the city hall will issue a resident permit (Certificat d'inscription au registre des etrangers -C.I.R.E.), valid for 6 months. Within this period of 6 months, the two partners must sign a notary contract and submit this document to the city hall to obtain a one year extendable resident permit. The resident permit allows the alien to travel within the Schengen States and to apply for a visa with the foreign diplomatic representative offices in Belgium. The delay between registering at the city hall and issuing the resident permit can take 3 to 6 weeks depending on the city. Since the visa issued by BTA is only valid for a single entry, the applicant should refrain from leaving Belgium as long as the administrative procedures are not finished.



Copyright © 1999-2005 Belgian Office Taipei
This page was last updated on Wednesday June 01, 2005