HIGHER EDUCATIONA national from any country other than a Member State of the European Union who intends to reside in Belgium for a period longer than 90 days must first obtain a temporary resident visa from a consular post abroad. Note: only ROC nationals or foreigners with ARC in Taiwan can apply for a visa through our office.
- The consular fee for a resident visa is 50 EURO, at the moment equal to 2300 NTD. This fee can vary according to the exchange rate. Consular taxes for legalizing documents are calculated seperately for each case.
- The applicant has to apply in person.
- Visa applications for this type of visa are received from Monday through Friday 9.00 to 11.30 on working days. It is advised to call first for an appointment (27151215 ext 207).
- Visa application forms, medical certificate,student questionnaire and guarantee letter are available at this office (application form,student questionnaire and medical certificate can also be downloaded).
- Medical check should be performed by a doctor appointed by this office (list available).
Formalities after arriving in Belgium:
- 3 visa application forms, signed by the applicant + 3 recent photos
- Passport (validity at least one year) and copy of passport.
- Police record for every person older than 18 (legalised by a Notary Public)
- Medical certificate certifying the applicant has not contracted a contagious or transmittable disease, or a disease that can be dangerous for public safety.
- Admission letter (original document) or proof of registration at a Belgian university or higher institute, recognized by the Belgian State. A resident visa can not be issued based on the inscription in a primary or secondary school.
- Certificate of sufficient financial resources :
a) either a proof that the student obtained a scholarship (at least 500 EURO/month, +-20.000 NT$)
b) or an affidavit of financial support signed by a sponsor
affidavit of financial support:
c) or, for students who finance their studies themselves: proof that the student has enough financial resources to cover his expenses during the full length of his studies in Belgium (minimum amount 480 EURO/month, +-15.000 NT$). This amount can either be saved on a bank account in Belgium or the student can prove he has enough financial resources in Taiwan, that can be transferred to Belgium by e.g. regular savings and deposits (clearly stated in the certificate of the bank or copy of savings account book) + certificate of bank that the funds can be transferred to Belgium + copy of payment slips (for applicants who have been working).
- form available at this office or at the city hall in Belgium
- has to be signed by the sponsor. The signature has to be legalized (in Belgium at the city hall, abroad at the Belgian consulate)
- certificate of nationality of the person who signs the affidavit of financial support (for Belgians: copy of the identity card).
- proof of solvency of sponsor (e.g. attestation of employment and salary, bank statement)
The Alien has to register with the city hall within 8 days of arrival (of the place of residence, not the place of study) and submit his passport and proof of registration at the university or higher institute. After the usual verifications, the ciy hall will issue a resident permit (Certificat d'inscription au registre des étrangers –C.I.R.E.), valid from 4 months to 1 year, depending on the case, and extendable. This permit allows the alien to travel within the Schengen States and to apply for a visa with the foreign diplomatic representative offices in Belgium. The delay between registering at the city hall and issuing the residence permit can take 3 to 6 weeks depending on the city. Since the visa issued by BTA is only valid for a single entry, the applicant should refrain from leaving Belgium as long as the administrative prodedures are not finished.